Dental implants are a safe and effective way to restore your smile’s function. Made of titanium, the material is incredibly biocompatible and durable when properly maintained. While dental implants do not decay like natural teeth, they still require proper care to ensure that they maintain their strong structure and last a lifetime. Patients with dental implants often have questions about how to properly care for their new teeth.
Post-Surgery Dental Implant Care
1. Rinse with a Saltwater Solution: After the surgery, it is important to rinse your mouth several times a day with a saltwater solution. This will help reduce swelling, pain and discomfort while ensuring good hygiene around the implant site.
2. Avoid Hard Foods: For the first few weeks after surgery, it is important to avoid hard and crunchy foods such as chips, nuts or hard candies, as these can damage your new dental implants or harm the healing process. Stick to softer foods such as mashed potatoes, yogurt and applesauce instead.
3. Maintain Good Oral Hygiene: To ensure successful healing and longevity of your dental implants, it is necessary to practice good oral hygiene by brushing twice a day for two minutes with a soft-bristled brush and flossing at least once daily. In addition, it is also recommended to attend regular check-ups and cleanings with your dentist in order to maintain optimal oral health.
During the Recovery Period Dental Implant Care
1. Follow your dentist’s instructions: Your dentist will provide you with specific instructions for post-surgery care, including how to clean the implant site, dietary restrictions, and any necessary medication.
2. Control swelling and pain: You may experience some swelling and pain after the surgery, which can be managed with ice packs and pain medication as prescribed by your dentist. Avoid taking aspirin, as it can increase bleeding.
3. Avoid smoking and alcohol: Smoking and alcohol can slow down the healing process and increase the risk of infection. Avoid smoking and drinking alcohol for at least a few days after the surgery.
4. Eat soft, nutritious foods: Stick to soft, nutritious foods that won’t irritate the implant site. Avoid hard or crunchy foods that can damage the implant or cause discomfort.
5. Maintain good oral hygiene: Follow your dentist’s instructions for cleaning the implant site and surrounding teeth. Brush gently with a soft-bristled toothbrush and avoid flossing around the implant until your dentist gives you the go-ahead. Rinse your mouth with saltwater or an antiseptic mouthwash as directed.
After Recovery Period Dental Implant Care
1. Continue good oral hygiene: Brush and floss regularly to keep the implant site and surrounding teeth clean and free from harmful bacteria. Your dentist may recommend using an interdental brush or water flosser to help you reach difficult areas.
2. Use a non-abrasive toothpaste: Avoid using abrasive toothpaste or hard-bristled toothbrushes, as they can scratch the implant surface and lead to infection.
3. Attend regular dental checkups: Schedule regular checkups with your dentist to monitor the health of your implants and identify any potential issues before they become more serious problems.
4. Avoid hard or sticky foods: Hard or sticky foods can put extra pressure on dental implants and potentially damage them. Opt for softer foods and cut tougher items into smaller pieces before eating them.
5. Quit smoking: Smoking can increase the risk of implant failure by slowing down the healing process and reducing blood flow to the implant site. If you smoke, talk to your dentist about strategies for quitting.
Get the Best Dental Implants in DFW Area
At Dentalogy dental implant center in Irving TX, we strive to give you the best dental care possible. Our team of experienced dental professionals are committed to providing you with the highest quality restorative dentistry treatments and long-term care for your optimal dental health and happiness. We understand that undergoing a dental implant surgery is a significant decision and investment, so we provide thorough pre-treatment evaluations and customized treatment plans to ensure that your implants are fitted correctly. To ensure the longevity of your implants, we also offer comprehensive post-operative care including maintenance visits, cleanings and checkups.